Friday 9 April 2010

Another busy turn stewarding at Great Witley

I arrived at Witley Church for a stewarding turn today; I was early (about 20 minutes to eleven. No sooner had I walked through the door and set up the sales stand when a coach party arrived and I found myself giving an impromptu talk to around thirty tourists who had descended on the church without any forewarning. A quick bit of improvisation thus ensued, but the said party were very grateful for my efforts in the end. It was nice to see their appreciation of the building which was reflected in a healthy sale of items from the sales stand and some much appreciated donations in the "milk churn". The only thing missing was the organ being played. The coach driver also knew a fair bit about the church as he often brings parties here because he knows that his fellow travellers always have a good visit. It was also good to see that visitor numbers have recovered dramatically in recent weeks after the dearth of folk during the winter period. Easter weekend was particularly busy - long may it continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment