Tuesday 24 May 2011

Another Visit to London

Marlborough House, south aspect from The Mall
       

Carlton Gardens, near to where the Earl of Dudley's house once stood
Today I spent another pleasant day in the capital, wandering around Westminster in amongst the throngs of other visitors. Unfortunately, from my point of view, President Obama also dropped in on a visit - he hadn't told me he was coming - which meant that Westminster Abbey and St. Margaret's next door, were both closed; the latter church was one of the main reasons for my trip, so I will have to pick a better day for it next time. Still, a stroll down Tothill Street, turn right into St. James's Park (where I had lunch), and across to The Mall, made up for this disappointment. I then came across Carlton Gardens where the Earl of Dudley had a house at number 7, but it was demolished many years ago to make way for modern development. Most of the other properties are still standing, including number 4, where General De Gaulle set up his "Free French" H.Q. during the latter days of the second world war. Just along The Mall is Marlborough House, the former residence of the Prince of Wales/King Edward VII, whose "set" included Georgina, the Countess of Dudley, and many other members of Victorian high-society. Opposite Marlborough House is the rear of St. James's Palace. Buckingham Palace itself was, as is usually the case on the occasion of a state visit, surrounded by crowds of people and a heavy security presence was most noticeable. I was very interested in the statuary and monuments outside the palace, the principal work that depicts Queen Victoria being the creation of the Worcester born sculptor Sir Thomas Brock. I returned to Westminster tube station and thence via the Circle line to Paddington where I caught the train home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment